One interesting component of the rulemaking process is a document that the federal government drafted. The “Cole Memo” was given to states which decriminialized marijuana (to date, Colorado and Washington).
The Cole Memo is an eight-point memo related to the concerns held by the federal DOJ. These eight points direct states to:
- Prevent distribution of marijuana to minors
- Prevent revenue from sales to going to criminal enterprises, gangs, and cartels
- Prevent diversion from where it is legal to states where it is illegal
- Prevent state-authorized activity from being used as a cover for illegal activity
- Prevent violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
- Prevent drugged driving and other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use
- Prevent growing marijuana on public grounds
- Prevent use on public property
In short, all the rules — all the rules — which the OLCC promulgates will be in conformity with the Cole Memo.
Want to read it yourself? http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf